Saturday, February 28, 2009

Gunung Nuang: A Taste of Whats to Come

I think there is something that goes against me sleeping early and having a good rest for my out door trips as of late, last one for Broga I couldn't sleep, and yesterday before I was about to go home to rest, Footstool had to make the decision to run off, leaving frog at a angry and emo state. Tried to look for him for sometime but decided to give up since this is not the first time the dummy ran out and I haven't packed yet plus I need to go to bed for Gunung Nuang trip on the next morning.
The Description of the trip was simple... go to Gunung Nuang, Pangsun, hike up to Lolo Camp and return, the 4 hours hike don't seem that bad.
We had 8 person with us on the trip out of the initial 10 person, 2 decided to become pilots and became non-contactable, so the eight of us left Devi's Corner after having our breakfast in 2 cars, one driven by Eddie and the other was me, I got Eddie to lead us to the place as I'm not sure of the location.
Followed him all the way to Cheras but lost him as traffic was heavy at that time, took me quite some time to figure out the way to Gunung Nuang myself, phone kept ringing asking for my location, ETA and such, telling me that everyone is there already except the people in my car when I manage to arrive there, they were there entertaining themselves with Chris' hunting bow, using garbage as target they play while waiting for my car to arrive. Pity Terrence and gang thou, 4 of them arrived on the location at 7.30AM and waited for us since then.
We started the track at 9am walking on a path that has been properly laid all along the track. before we started I thought that this is gonna be quite easy, but after finishing the first incline I was already panting but I know I can finish this.

The hike usually takes 2 hours one way for someone fit, not really much of an issue for myself however I stopped once in a while to wait for the people who are really far behind. I usually play the herd dog, getting everyone to walk in one big group, but this time it was hopeless. trying to run to the front is insane, I can run for some time and couldn't catch up with the people in front as they are too far away, and I still had maintain visual of the people behind, felt like a dung beetle rolling his ball of dung uphill, literally... should had brought out the walkies.

At one point of the trail I stopped with a few others to wait for the rest who are far behind, while we were there chit chatting. I realized that there was a loud buzzing sound above our heads, I look up and found a huge swarm of bees coming out of a tree right above our heads. "Holy SH!T!! RUN! RUN!! RUN!!!" without thinking that line that came out my mouth and in a blink of an eye I started fleeing with the others following right behind. We manage to catch up with the people in front stopped and tried calling the last 2 person behind to warn them about the bees. Luckily, they couldn't find it along the trail.


About 2 and a half hours later we finally found ourselves at the Dam of Camp Lolo, bad news is that this is only the first check point to reach the peak of Gunung Nuang. Good news is today we are not going to the peak. We are just going to rest and play in the water here until everyone is satisfy and ready to head back for another 2+ hours of torture.
Feels like we are not yet ready for Endau Rompin...

Have A Great Day
Dennis

1 comment:

Eddie Tuen said...

Haha... steady man... see you up the summit next trip! :)