Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Endau Rompin Day Three: This is Not My Day

Photobucket

Woke up in the hammock and I could feel how bad today is going to be already. My back was aching due to the bad sleeping position that I have in the hammock. Things got worst when I tried to speak, I've gotten the trek leader curse, lost my voice for shouting around too much, the lack of drinking water while hiking makes it worst.
While I'm lying in my hammock silently bitching about my pain that I'm suffering, a few of my friends were at the blue lagoon, swimming and washing up for the day.
It is thanks to Audrey for the re hydration salt and Kim for the lozenges that got me feeling better.
"I'm back!" the Heng declared.
Audrey who was enjoying the peace when I was silent, now regrets helping me recover. *grin*

Timmy and I quickly manage our breakfast consist of canned tuna with bread. We cannot afford to complain at that time but most of us had sworn off tuna and baked beans for the next 3 months.

After eating, it is time to pack up our stuff and move in to the chalet. Packing up is quite a pain for me, I have a bad habit of putting things everywhere and I require quite some time to put everything in my pack. Aurelius was already yelling about asking us to quickly pack up and kept asking me to undo my tent. I knew for a fact that I could pack the tent quicker then I could pack my bag. Makes more sense to finish off packing my bag and leave the tent for the finale, still it was my mistake for delaying the group.
As soon as we are done packing and sweeping the camp site for rubbish, we started hiking, we followed the same formation we had while returning yesterday, some of us were complaining that our packs are actually heavier even after clearing most of our food and water. It must be the rain, most of our stuff got wet from the rain yesterday and that gives us extra weight.
The 45 minutes to an hour hike was easier compared to the time we arrived, as a matter of fact I did enjoy the hike to the chalet, right after crossing the last river and helping the others cross it. I jumped right into the cool water for a swim, most of gang followed.
When it was almost time to go and when everyone is out of the water, I was throwing pebbles in to the water, making them skip on the water as many times as I could. While I was putting my focus on that, I heard a loud "Thud!" coming from my chest, there was a sharp pain, I blacked out and fell to the ground. Some of my friends were running after me to see if I'm alright, that's when I learned what actually happen. Seng Keong took the opportunity to throw a stone at me which found it's way to my chest, it hit me so hard that it stunned me for a moment there, good thing is that it didn't do much damage or hit me in certain vital points.

Photobucket

After checking into the chalets, I quickly put down my pack and get the clothes line up so that we could actually dry some of our stuffs. my chalet mates took out all of our remaining food and planned out our lunch, dinner and breakfast. We decided that it was going to be spaghetti for lunch. So with Master Chef Timmy guidance I helped prepare the spaghetti sauce, all I need to do is stir the sauce so that it will mix with the corned beef with a good consistency. It's quite easy and straight forward, until Seng Keong decided that it is not cooking fast enough and turned the heat up a notch. His action leads to a chain reaction which involves hot spaghetti sauce flying all over my hands and legs, I guess I must have developed some kind of heat resistance by now.

Photobucket

We were supposed to go do a 2 hours hike up the hill after lunch, unfortunately I was too scarred and didn't have the mood to go hiking so I choose to pull out and stay back to avoid any further unfortunate events.

Photobucket

I wasn't the only one who stayed back at the chalet, the hike yesterday took a toll on almost everyone, we decided to rest and go down to the river later for a swim.
The river water from the chalet balcony was clear and inviting, we ran down to the river to enjoy the water however within 10 minutes we were forced to get out of the water, the sky was threatening us with light shower and thunder.

Photobucket

Back in the chalet, we all stood there and watch how heavy the rain fall, the clear river water turned brown as the water level rise, we were all thanking ourselves for making a good decision not to go hiking and was laughing at the unfortunate people who actually gone for it, the perfect time to laugh at other people's misery, good thing that they all made it back safely.

Night came quickly, our dinner plan was to make pasta and finish off the remaining food that we have, that includes 4 cans of tuna, 2 cans of sardine, one can of sausages, 2 cans of baked beans and some eggs. We even got some "fried" spaghetti from the other team, we ate till we are all stuffed and was too lazy to move about. All we did was boil water so that we could enjoy a cup of Milo before we sleep, problem was there were gazillions insects flying around and they kept landing in the boiling water, so we came up with this a make shift insect trap to control the number of insects.

Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


The night was interesting for me since most creatures are active at night, I didn't need to go far to see some interesting creatures, most of them came and visit me.

To be continue

Have A Great Day
Dennis

1 comment:

Eddie Tuen said...

At 427m, I doubt Janing Barat deserves the title 'Gunung'... more like mole hill... ;)